[sg_popup id=”1345″ event=”inherit”][/sg_popup]Hi, This post is about one of the important Renaissance leaders of Kerala.
Hi friends, In this post, I want to give a short notes on Ayyankali– one of the famous renaissance leaders of Kerala.
Now I am an educator in ‘Unacademy’ and I have uploaded a video course named ” Renaissance of Kerala”. There are 10 lessons, you can watch it here.
If you like the lessons, and got any benefit from the course, feel free to comment, give star rating and do follow. You can also subscribe this website and also my youtube channel for early notifications. Thank you.
- Birth place- Venganore(Trivandrum)
- Born in- 1863
- He was born in Pulaya community had suffered social disabilities through ages
- Father – Ayyan
- Mother – Mala
- Founded – Sadhujana Paripalana Sangham in 1907
- In recognition to his services to the community, -He was nominated to the Sri Mulam Praja Sabha in 1910( also in years 1914 & 1915)
- He was the first Harijan member of Sri Mulam Praja Sabha
- Indira Gandhi installed the sculpture of Ayyankali
- At Kawadiyar square , Trivandrum
- In 1980
- Ezra David was the sculptor
- Indira Gandhi called him –
“The Great Son of India”
- Gandhiji gave him the title – “Pulaya Raja”
- Ayyankali memorial is at – Chitrakoodam, Venganore
- Ayyankali Boat race is conducted at – Vellayani lake ,Trivandrum
- Conducted Villuvandi agitation in 1893
- His first struggle was – for the right to use the public roads by the downtrodden people
- Kallumala agitation ,1915
- Freedom for the backward caste ladies to wear upper cloth.
- Gandhiji visited him in1937
- Ayyankali started a school to teach dalit children at venganoor ( Kudipallikkoodam-1905)
- In 1938, Sadhujana Paripalana Sangham became Pulaya Maha Sabha
- Important agitations participated by Ayyankali – Pullad agitation & Nedumangadu agitation
- Perinadu revolt in Kollam also led by Ayyankali
- The “Uruttambalam riot” ( Thonnooram lahala/Pulaya riot) – in 1915
- He wrote the book “ Ente Ormakal”
- Ayyankali Urban employment Guarantee Scheme was launched by Govt of Kerala in 2010
- He died at the age of 77 on 18 June, 1941
download the pdf of Latest who is who in India here
you can download the pdf of all study materials here
You can watch the video lessons from here
2 thoughts on “Ayankali- Renaissance leaders of Kerala”