DETAILED SYLLABUS FOR THE POST OF HIGHER SECONDARY SCHOOL TEACHER IN ZOOLOGY(281/2020)
HIGHER SECONDARY SCHOOL TEACHER IN ZOOLOGY (JUNIOR) (738/2021) IN HIGHER SECONDARY EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Main Topics HSST Zoology Syllabus Kerala PSC
Part I – Zoology – 70 Marks
Part II – Research Methodology & Teaching Aptitude – 10 Marks
Part III – Salient features of Indian Constitution and Social Welfare
Legislations & Programmes – 10 Marks
Part IV – General Knowledge ,Current Affairs & Renaissance in
Kerala– 10 Marks
MODULE I: SYSTEMATICS AND EVOLUTIONARY BIOLOGY (10 Marks)
• Basic concepts , Importance and applications
• Trends -Chemotaxonomy, Cytotaxonomy, Molecular taxonomy, Cladistics, Numerical
• Dimensions of speciation, Species concept, Theories of biological classification, Hierarchy
• Procedural keys- Taxonomic procedures- Collection, Preservation, Curating, Identification.
• Taxonomic keys- Merits and demerits; ICZN, Formation of scientific names of various taxa.
An outline of evolutionary theories: Darwinism, Lamarckism, Modern synthesis (not in
Origin of higher categories- Punctuated equilibrium- Macroevolution- MicroevolutionCoevolution-Founder principle- C-value paradox-Concept of molecular clockCytochrome C- Haemoglobin-Histone.
MODULE II: PHYSIOLOGY AND BIOCHEMISTRY. (10 Marks)
Nutrition and Digestion
• Types of nutrition
• Mechanism of Digestion , Absorption
• Gastro intestinal hormones
• Deficiency diseases of nutrients.
• Physiology of cardiac muscles
• cardiac cycle
• Electrical properties
• conducting system of heart
• Blood pressure
• Blood volume
• pressure control – integrated system.
• Nerve action potential
• conduction of nerve impulse
• Synaptic transmission
• Major Endocrine glands and their hormones and functions
• Mechanism of hormone action.
• Carbohydrates: Classification, Structure, Properties, Functions.
• Proteins: Classification, Structure, Properties, Functions.
• Lipids: Classification, Structure, Properties, functions.
Enzymes: Mechanism of enzyme action. Factors affecting enzyme action, Enzyme kinetics, MentonMichaelis kinetics, Substrate concentration, Enzyme inhibition and regulation, Isozyme, Coenzyme,
Metabolism of carbohydrate: Glycolysis, TCA cycle, Pentose phosphate pathway, Glycogenesis,
Glucogenesis, Gluconeogenesis, Regulation of carbohydrate metabolism.
Metabolism of protein: Deamination, Transamination,
Metabolism of Lipids: B oxidation, Synthesis of Fatty acid, Biosynthesis of
Energy metabolism: Oxidative metabolism, Oxidative phosphorylation,
Chemiosmotic theory .
MODULE III: MICROBIOLOGY AND IMMUNOLOGY (10 Marks)
• Classification of Microorganisms- Berg’s manual.
• Salient features of Bacteria, Viruses, Fungi, Protozoa, Algae.
• Bacterial Cell- Structure and function
• Bacterial Cell wall- Peptidoglycan, Gram’s positive and Gram’s negative, Mechanism of Gram’s
• Bacterial culture media
• Growth curves
Industrial Microbiology: Fermentation.
• Types of immunity – Innate, Acquired, Passive, Active, Cell mediated.
• Cells of primary and secondary lymphoid organs.
• Cells and organs of immune system.
III. Immunogens [ Antigen]
• General properties- Structure and function, Variability and Diversity.
• Factors affecting antigenicity
• Epitopes and haptens
IV. Immunoglobulins [Antibodies]
• General properties- Structure and function
• Different classes- Ig A, IgD, IgE, IgM
• Variability and Diversity
• Monoclonal and polyclonal antibodies
V. Antigen Antibody interaction
Complement system- Classical pathway, Alternate, cell mediated and humoral reactions.
MHC genes, Auto-immune diseases.
MODULE IV (10 Marks) CELL, MOLECULAR BIOLOGY AND BIOTECHNOLOGY
Cell membrane- Structure and function.
Cell organelles with special reference to Mitochondria and Ribosomes
• Organization of eukaryotic genome, gene content and genomic size complexity of eukaryotic
genome, conserved exons and recombination
• DNA replication , Repair and Recombination
• Prokaryotic and eukaryotic DNA replication. Enzyme involved in replication. DNA damage and
• Transcription and RNA processing
• Prokaryotic and Eukaryotic transcription, Binding of transcription
complexes, Post -transcriptional processing .
• Translation- prokaryotic and eukaryotic gene expression, Translational machinery, mechanism of
initiation, elongation and termination, Post-translational modification of protein.
• Gene regulation mechanism in Prokaryotes, Eukaryotes
• Transcriptional signals-TATA, CAAT box, Enhancers.
• Major steps in cloning, Isolation and purification of genes.
• Vectors- properties of an ideal vector, different types [ plasmids, Ti plasmid, bacteriophages, cosmids,
phagemids, artificial chromosomes].
• Enzymes in gene cloning.
• Probes and molecular markers [RFLP, RAPD, AFLP].
• Homoploymer tailing, linkers and adapters.
BGenetic engineering techniques.
B1 Polymerase Chain reaction, DNA finger printing, Blotting techniques [ Northern,
Southern , Western blottings, Dot blot, Slot blot].
B2 DNA sequencing – Maxam-Gilbert method, Sanger-Coulson method. Chromosome
jumping, Genomic library and cDNA library, Site specific mutagenesis and gene targeting,
Human genome project, Human gene therapy, and other genome projects.
B3 Transgenic animals.
MODULE V: GENETICS AND DEVELOPMENTAL BIOLOGY (10 Marks)
• Mendelian principles of genetics- Laws , Linkage, Crossing over, Mutation, DNA,
Types of DNA, RNA, Types of RNA.
• Lyon hypothesis.
• Syndromes- Klinefelter, Down, Turner.
• Genetic code.
II. DEVELOPMENTAL BIOLOGY
• Gametogenesis, Fertilization and early development – Cleavage, Blastulation,
• Experimental Embryology.
• Embryonic induction.
MODULE VI: ECOLOGY, ETHOLOGY , BIODIVERSITY CONSERVATION AND BIOSTATISTICS (10 Marks)
Definitions- Habit and habitat, Ecological niche, Ecosystem, Population ecology, Community ecology,
Ecological succession, Pollution, Global warming.
Learning behaviour, Communication behaviour, Motivation.
Biodiversity concept, status in India, Value, Loss and causes of loss.
Indices, Hot spots of Biodiversity.
In situ and Ex-situ conservation.
Mean, Median, Mode, Standard deviation; Graphical representation of data.
BIOPHYSICS, BIOINFORMATICS AND COMPUTER APPLICATION
• Scanning electron microscope, Transmission electron microscope
• Electrophoresis- Gel, PAGE, Agarose, 2D- Immunoelectrophoresis, Fluorescent
• HPLC, Flow cytometry
• NMR spectroscopy- Mass, Plasma , Atomic
• X-ray diffraction
Proteomics, Genomics, Data bases – Primary and Secondary, Search engines.
Transgenic animals, Stem cell research, IPR, Carbon trading, Ecological foot printing, Treaties and protocols
related to climate change.
MODULE – VII (10 Marks) Recent developments in Zoology
PART II (10 Marks)
RESEARCH METHODOLOGY/TEACHING APTITUDE
I. TEACHING APTITUDE
Teaching: Nature, objectives, characteristics and basic requirements;
Factors affecting teaching;
Methods of teaching;
II. RESEARCH APTITUDE
Research: Meaning, Characteristics and types;
Steps of research;
Methods of research;
Paper, article, workshop, seminar, conference and symposium;
Thesis writing: its characteristics and format.
PART III (10 Marks)
Salient Features of Indian Constitution
Salient features of the Constitution – Preamble- Its significance and its place in the
interpretation of the Constitution.
Fundamental Rights – Directive Principles of State Policy – Relation between Fundamental
Rights and Directive Principles – Fundamental Duties.
Executive – Legislature – Judiciary – Both at Union and State Level. – Other Constitutional
Centre-State Relations – Legislative – Administrative and Financial.
Services under the Union and the States.
Amendment Provisions of the Constitution.
Social Welfare Legislations and Programmes
Social Service Legislations like Right to Information Act, Prevention of atrocities against Women & Children,
Food Security Act, Environmental Acts etc. and Social Welfare Programmes like Employment Guarantee
Programme, Organ and Blood Donation etc.
PART IV (10 Marks)
GENERAL KNOWLEDGE, CURRENT AFFAIRS AND RENAISSANCE IN KERALA
RENAISSANCE IN KERALA TOWARDS A NEW SOCIETY
Introduction to English education – various missionary organisations and their functioning funding of educational institutions, factories, printing press etc.
EFFORTS TO REFORM THE SOCIETY
(A) Socio-Religious reform Movements
SNDP Yogam, Nair Service Society, Yogakshema Sabha, Sadhu Jana Paripalana Sangham, Vaala
Samudaya Parishkarani Sabha, Samathwa Samajam, Islam Dharma Paripalana Sangham,
Prathyaksha Raksha Daiva Sabha, Sahodara Prasthanam etc.
(B) Struggles and Social Revolts
Upper cloth revolts.Channar agitation, Vaikom Sathyagraha, Guruvayoor Sathyagraha, Paliyam
Sathyagraha. Kuttamkulam Sathyagraha, Temple Entry Proclamation, Temple Entry Act. Malayalee
Memorial, Ezhava Memorial etc.
Malabar riots, Civil Disobedience Movement, Abstention movement etc.
ROLE OF PRESS IN RENAISSANCE
Malayalee, Swadeshabhimani, Vivekodayam, Mithavadi, Swaraj, Malayala Manorama,
Bhashaposhini, Mathnubhoomi, Kerala Kaumudi, Samadarsi, Kesari, AI-Ameen, Prabhatham,
AWAKENING THROUGH LITERATURE
Novel, Drama, Poetry, Purogamana Sahithya Prasthanam, Nataka Prashtanam, Library movement
WOMEN AND SOCIAL CHANGE
Parvathi Nenmenimangalam, Arya Pallam, A V Kuttimalu Amma, Lalitha Prabhu.Akkamma
Cheriyan, Anna Chandi, Lalithambika Antharjanam and others
LEADERS OF RENAISSANCE
Thycaud Ayya Vaikundar, Sree Narayana Guru, Ayyan Kali.Chattampi Swamikal, Brahmananda
Sivayogi, Vagbhadananda, Poikayil Yohannan(Kumara Guru) Dr Palpu, Palakkunnath Abraham
Malpan, Mampuram Thangal, Sahodaran Ayyappan, Pandit K P Karuppan, Pampadi John Joseph,
Mannathu Padmanabhan, V T Bhattathirippad, Vakkom Abdul Khadar Maulavi, Makthi Thangal,
Blessed Elias Kuriakose Chaavra, Barrister G P Pillai, TK Madhavan, Moorkoth Kumaran, C.
Krishnan, K P Kesava Menon, Dr.Ayyathan Gopalan, C V Kunjuraman, Kuroor Neelakantan
Namboothiripad, Velukkutty Arayan, K P Vellon, P K Chathan Master, K Kelappan, P. Krishna
Pillai, A K Gopalan, T R Krishnaswami Iyer, C Kesavan. Swami Ananda Theerthan, M C Joseph,
Kuttippuzha Krishnapillai and others
Kodungallur Kunhikkuttan Thampuran, KeralaVarma Valiyakoyi Thampuran, Kandathil Varghese
Mappila. Kumaran Asan, Vallathol Narayana Menon, Ulloor S Parameswara Iyer, G Sankara
Kurup, Changampuzha Krishna Pillai, Chandu Menon, Vaikom Muhammad Basheer. Kesav Dev,
Thakazhi Sivasankara Pillai, Ponkunnam Varky, S K Pottakkad and others
GENERAL KNOWLEDGE AND CURRENT AFFAIRS
- Syllabus of NON-VOCATIONAL TEACHER (SENIOR &JUNIOR) IN PHYSICS
- HSST Zoology Syllabus Kerala PSC|Higher Secondary School Teacher Zoology Syllabus KPSC
- Kerala PSC Degree Level MCQ|Indus Valley Civilization|KAS MCQ|Kerala Administrative Service MCQ History
- LDC Main Exam Syllabus Kerala PSC|LDC Kerala PSC Syllabus for Main Exam
- UPSC CSE 2021 prelims result declared| how to check UPSC civil Service result 2021