Attingal Revolt- Popular Movements in Kerala
- Attingal revolt is considered as the first organised revolt in Kerala against British East India Company.
- The outbreak happened at Anjuthengu Fcatory
- Anjuthengu Fcatory was under the supervision of its chief Gyfford
- the corruption practices of Gyfford and his men provoked the local people
- They even invoked the religious sentiments of the people living there
- The embarassed local people attacked a contingent of 140 English men and Massacred them on April 15,1721. This is called Attingal Revolt.
- Gyfford was also killed
- Then British and Rani entered into an agreement, “Traety between the English and the Travancore-1723”
- It was the first treaty negotiated by the English East India Company with an Indian State
- Further in 1723, a treaty was signed between Marthanda varma and Dr Alexander Orme
- Kerala History is a very important topic in Kerala PSC Exams. The Attingal Revolt Comes under the subtopic Popular Movements in Kerala
Renaissance Leaders of Kerala pdf notes
Visit and Subscribe 🙂